The most basic form of call to action you can have on your website – a contact form.
Users browsing your website, regardless if it’s to know more about your business or to buy a product, it’s essential to have some form of call to action for users to reach out to you.
Contact Form 7 is a widely used free plugin that allows you to easily manage fields you require for users to fill in.
To install Contact Form 7 plugin, navigate to Plugins > Add New. Search for Contact Form 7 then Install and Activate. Once activated, you will notice a “Contact” menu tab on your WordPress admin panel.
To create a new form, click on “Add New” button. Insert a title for your Contact Form and you can configure the fields in the form section.
- [text] = Text field for users to enter plain text. Commonly used for First & Last name
- [email] = Email field that will check for email validation
- [URL] = Text field that checks for an URL
- [number] = Text Field that checks for numbers
- [text-area] = Text Area that allows multi row. Commonly used for Messages
- [drop-down-menu] = Single select multi drop down box that requires user to choose at least 1. Commonly used when you have multiple options that you wish user to select 1
- [checkboxes] = Multi select check boxes that allows multiple selection. Commonly used when you have multiple choices and user can choose more than 1
- [submit] = Button that checks for the fields in the form and sends the email to Administrator
It’s important to note that the plugin will automatically check for any error validation. Example, if alphabets are entered into a number field, it will generate an error and the form will not go through.
Next panel “Mail” is where you configure your email content and enter an email that will receive this form values.
- To: The recipient of the email
- From: Not important, it is key to note you can enter a “fake” email address that does not exists. As long as the domain name is same as your URL, you should be fine
- Subject: The subject of your email. Note that if you allow users to manually enter the subject of the form, you can use the text field “[your-subject]” where [your-subject] is the name of the text field
- Additional Headers: For CCs, BCCs or Reply To
- Message Body: The body of the message
- I tested with the contact form but I did not receive any emails!
Check if the email address in “To” is correct. Check your junk mail too.
- The message body is not showing the values correctly!
Check the name of the text field. In the Form tab, you can derive the name of the text box by the values inside the open brackets. Example, [text* your-name] will mean that the name of your textbox is [your-name]. Ensure that [your-name] is being used in your Message Body.
- I want to keep track of the messages that go through my Contact Form.
You can install and activate a plugin by the same author called Flamingo. This plugin allows you to keep track of entries that are being sent from the Contact Form.